Friday, January 7, 2011

Herds of interest

The BLM adoption center is currently home to over 500 horses, and that number is sure to increase after the next round-up. That is a lot of horses to look at, and only a fraction will fit my criteria which includes:
- Uphill build
- Elegant movement
- Between the ages of 2 and 4
- Height of over 15 hands when fully mature
- Being pretty is a plus

In order to narrow down the number of horses to look at, I have looked into what particular herds are most likely to possess the characteristics I am looking for.

The first herd that struck my attention is the Stinkingwater herd. Horses in this herd tend to be on the larger side and have a relatively uphill build. The horse in the photo to the left is a 2-year-old filly from this herd, and has quite a nice build. Some horses from this herd however have long backs and short legs, which would not be ideal for dressage. I also learned that horses from this herd are notoriously difficult to train due to their strong "fight or flight" instinct which will be important to keep in mind while choosing a horse for myself.



Another herd I am interested in is the famous Kiger herd. Horses in this herd are known for having a strong Spanish influence in their genetic make-up, extravagant movement with expressive front legs, and beautiful buckskin coloring. The horse in the photo to the right is an example of a Kiger mustang and, boy does he take my breath away. Horses from the Kiger herd are also suppose to be quite docile and easily trained. One disadvantage to Kigers is that because of their beauty and trainability, they are often adopted very quickly, or auctioned for high prices (I guess really only a disadvantage to me, but an advantage for them). They are also often on the smaller side, and finding one over 15 hands might be challenging. If any Kigers are available at the time I adopt, I will certainly take them into strong consideration.

A herd in lower demand than the Kiger, but no less beautiful (in my opinion) is the Cold Springs herd. Many horses in this herd are also strongly influenced by the Spanish breeds, and they tend to be a bit larger than the Kigers. I know very little about the trainability of horses from this herd, but I know there are several currently residing at the adoption facility waiting for a new home. Maybe one is waiting for me !




I would be interested in hearing from people about which herd they like, or if there is an Oregon herd that I have not mentioned that may contain horses I would be interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment