Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I promise

Within the past year, there has been much controversy over a training method known as rollkur. This method is known by many names including hyperflexion, and low-deep-and-round (LDR). It involves horses being ridden with their nose's far past the vertical, often bent deeply to one direction or the other. While I do not know enough horse biomechanics say whether or not this practice is physically damaging, I can say that I have never seen a horse being trained with this method that looks happy. The most troubling thing in my opinion about this practice is the heavy handedness of the riders that employ it.


Public controversy over the use of this method began when video footage of grand prix dressage rider, Patrick Kittel, was released that showed him holding his reins so tightly that his horse's tongue turned blue. Anky Van Grunsven, the sweetheart of Dutch dressage (and cowgirl wannabe), openly uses and defends the technique claiming that it necessary to work certain muscles in her horses' bodies, but I am far from convinced that these heavy-handed methods are necessary.

While the dressage world has taken the most heat for use of rollkur, it is widley used across disciplines from hunter/jumper to western. In the jumper ring it is common to see horses and riders involved in an all out tug-o-war. It seems to me that riders as a whole are becoming less and less willing to put in the work required to train a horse correctly, and would rather do it quickly than do it right.

There are still many riders out there at the top who do put in the extra work to do things right . Adelinde Cornellissen has a lovely and soft way of riding her powerful gelding (not to mention the giant hug he receives after his final salute), Jerich Parzival, which is probably why she is capable of winning so often with a notoriously temperamental horse. Rodrigo Pessoa is able to win grand prix jump-offs with horses that appear so relaxed they could be on a leisurely hack. It is obvious that these riders truly love and respect their horses. These are the riders I look up to and will strive to emulate.

Today I make a promise to any and all horses I may train, ride, or own in the future, that I will do my very best to do things right and always put your well being and happiness ahead quick results.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on this. It hurts me to see them with their heads cranked to their chests.

    -Kerrie

    ReplyDelete