Monday, November 14, 2011

My first west coast training gig

If you may recall, I have mentioned in previous posts that it essential that I pursue an equestrian career to truly be happy, and I'm pleased to say that Stamm Sport Horse is open for business. While I have done some training back on the east coast, it was always within the context of some larger farm at which I was employed. This is my first time acting as an independent contractor, and venturing out into the often crazy horse world on my own has been very scary.

Last month I started working with my first training horse, Scotchgard G, better known as the goofy and lovable Henri. Henri is an extremely powerful and talented half-Arabian gelding that has the ability to make me laugh and lift my mood when I'm in the foulest of states. He is owned by Gina Bressler, a very talented and very well-respected trainer in her own right who wanted to give Henri a shot at a new discipline, and me a shot at training (THANK YOU!). Gina also owns and manages the farm where I keep my little munchkin (Gentle Oaks Stables), and has kindly allowed me to base my training business out of her farm.

While I was thrilled to get Henri as a training horse, I also felt a tremendous deal of pressure training for someone who I regard in such high esteem. So... First independent training job working for someone who is a fantastic rider/trainer... color me terrified!

One month later, the feelings of self-doubt still creep in here and there, but I am starting to trust myself, and slowly but surely, I am starting to have confidence in my own ability. I couldn't have asked for better horse/owner combination to get started with. I also feel extremely lucky to be at a place like Gentle Oaks. While I don't technically work for the farm, being surrounded by all of the wonderful people there makes me feel a lot less like I'm on my own. Oh jeez.... Now I'm getting teary-eyed.

1 comment: