Wednesday, November 2, 2011

That's how I roll!


Dressage saddles with giant knee rolls seem to be a requirement these days for anyone wanting to look legit. This trend is something I refuse to accept, and here is my anti giant knee roll manifesto.

I have ridden in saddles with oversized knee rolls on a few occasions and can say emphatically that I don't like them. I understand that they are suppose to keep the riders leg in a correct position, but chances are, unless the saddle was custom made to fit your leg exactly, you will be fighting the saddle to achieve good position. Since I ride a variety of different horses and leg position is never exactly the same from horse to horse, a big knee-rolled saddle seems like a bad option for me.

I have also noticed that riders that choose giant knee rolls have a tendency to brace against them, especially at the sitting trot. While this may be an effective way to stay in the saddle, it is also an equally effective way to interfere with the horse's back.

The two saddles I use are the Neidersuss Symphony which have small knee rolls that suggest rather than command where your leg should go, and...



the Stubben Tristan which lacks a knee roll all together.



I love both of these saddles, and feel that they have a wonderful impact on my riding.

How do you roll?

3 comments:

  1. Amen! My current saddle has no rolls and I had a heck of a time getting use to it but my leg position improved dramatically. I may be the only one out in the show ring without them but I'm sticking with it. I'm also the only one out there without my horse's mouth strapped shut with a dropped noseband so people are use to my rebel ways.
    I totally agreed with your comment over on Behind the Bit about that 3 year old ridden in such a high frame. You could just see that guy wanting to stretch out, way too undeveloped for how he was being ridden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the comment. I also avoid using a flash. If the horse is totally evasise of the bit, that's one thing, but a well-trained horse should be responsive enough to your seat that you shouldn't have to use so much rein that his mouth gapes open.

    So happy my comment on BTB led to a potentially new blog follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, popped over from another blog.

    I'm with you on the lack of leg "blockers" is what I call them.
    I am owning a Stubben Tristian at the moment, but not altogether sure it fits my mare.I got it cheap used and it actually ended up being my sister's first Dressage saddle like -35 years ago!
    Your 2 saddle look good and fot the freedom of movement-PERFECT!
    KK

    ReplyDelete