Thursday, June 2, 2011

The HJ Hampton Story

This story has nothing to do with mustangs, but has much to do with a horse that changed me for the better. If you are a sucker for happy endings, this story is for you.

In 2006 I had the great challenge/pleasure of riding HJ Hampton (Henry) immediately after his return from intense training as hunter/jumper. He was a challenging, yet rewarding mount who always gave his all, and had a personality that melted the hearts of all that came in contact with him.

He had some training, but he was very fearful and distrusting of his rider, initially trying to evade my cues instead of looking to me for guidance. Eventually he learned to trust me and became much more relaxed. His flatwork progressed rapidly and he had an endless capacity to learn. Before too long he had become solid at first level work and was schooling 2nd level movements.

Despite his previous training as a hunter/jumper, the prospect of jumping terrified him. I only attempted jumping him on a couple occasions, and his reaction to those attempts were enough to convince me that “this horse will make someone a nice dressage horse, but he’s not meant to jump.”

Henry and I posing for a photography class.

Since I had previously made the decision to focus on dressage, Henry’s fear of jumping did not impact my desire to ride him one bit. In fact, I spent many hours at my day job as a chemist thinking about my evening rides on Henry. I loved how he challenged me and made me think. He was very insistent that my cues were tactful and instructive, and he was not afraid to let me know when he didn’t understand. Even though Henry let me believe that I was doing the training, I’m pretty sure he knew he was actually the one training me. I will forever be a better riding for the hours I spent on his back.

In 2007, I left for Oregon to pursue a graduate degree, under the impression that Henry was to be sent back into hunter/jumper training. That was the last I saw/heard of him until spring, 2010 when on a random whim, I decided to do a google search for HJ Hampton to see if I could find him.

To my shock, the first thing that popped up was a helmet cam video….of Henry…at ROLEX!? Those big ears were unmistakably his, and I quickly started searching the internet for more video. I found several more videos of Henry jumping, with what can only be described as a look of pure joy in his eyes. I have never been happier to eat my words. It did my heart so much good to see that he was happy and healthy, not to mention tremendously successful.

I later learned that Henry’s training had been taken over by Australian rider, Peter Atkins, an eventer/miracle worker who taught Henry to love jumping. Their strong bond was evident in the helmet cam videos, with Henry’s big ears flicking backwards after every combination as if to say, “am I a good boy Dad?” and Peter enthusiastically replying, that yes, he was indeed a good boy. This relationship led to a successful outing at the World Equestrian Games and rise to fame in the equestrian community.

I won’t say much about what happened next, but here’s the story in a nutshell. Peter had agreed to train, care for, and campaign Henry in exchange for half ownership. Henry's owner claimed that was never the deal. A jury decided that based on evidence presented by Peter, there was in fact a partnership. The judge ruled that the partnership was to be dissolved, and Henry was to be auctioned off to the highest bidder. At the last second, Henry's owner agreed to sell her half of Henry to Peter, giving Peter full ownership.

It is my belief that Henry is now in the right place. It is clear that not only Peter, but his entire family adore him. He has become far more than just the horse of a top rider. He is a family member, and I could wish him no better life.

During the ownership dispute Peter and I came to know each other since I was Henry’s previous rider and had information on his training history. Now that the ownership dispute is over, Peter has generously invited me to come visit Henry at his farm. I am extremely excited to say the least, and look forward to seeing the great HJ Hampton once again.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! What a great story! I remember reading about the ownership dispute. Who knew Henry hadn't started out wanting to jump. I'll look forward to reading how the visit goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad Peter figured out the issues because it has become obvious that x-country is Henry's true calling.

    ReplyDelete