Thursday, August 18, 2011

World class riders and the return to lightness

Currently, the FEI European Dressage Championships are underway. Today marked the end of the team competition, and team Great Britain walked away victoriously with their first ever gold medal. Not wanting my subscription to FEITV to go to waste, I watched as much as I could.

Dressage has changed a lot over the years, and for the past several years has been moving in a direction I found most disheartening. Along with the use of rollkur at epidemic proportions amongst top riders, the emphasis on lightness and harmony seemed to be lost. It became evident that riders were becoming much more reliant on their curb rein than on their seat. Instead of a dance between horse and rider, Grand Prix rides appeared to be more of a fight.

During the European Championships, there was no doubt, a great deal of heavy-handed riding, including Matthias Rath on the great Moorlands Totilas (pictured left), and Laura Bechtolsheimer on Minstral Horis (pictured below). In all fairness to Laura, Mistral Horis did appear hotter than normal, and seemed to be running away with her, but I have never seen her ride with light hands in competition.






I was most pleasantly surprised by the superb test put in by British rider, Carl Hester, and his horse Utopia. Utopia seems to be a fitting name for the horse since almost everything about the ride was perfect. Seeing the pair was a reminder that their are still top riders that strive for lightness and harmony, and I'm happy to say, with Carl Hester topping out the individual scores (BEATING TOTILAS!), judges are beginning to reward this type of riding again.

2 comments:

  1. It's great to see this happening. I've also been disappointed in the direction international dressage was taking. Now it's looking more hopeful. Laura's father is her trainer,as well as Carl's. I wonder why the diference?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure. I've watched a lot of Laura's training videos, and Alf seems very light at home. Maybe he's just extremely hot to handle in competition.

    ReplyDelete